Meet Dr. Brown
James S. Brown, III, MD, FACS
Dr. Jim Brown is a Board-certified ophthalmologist specializing in LASIK surgery, cataract surgery, eyelid surgery, glaucoma surgery, diabetic eye laser surgery, and retinal laser procedures. Dr. Brown's EYE AND LASER CENTER OF STARKVILLE offers the comfort and results of the most up-to-date technologies - CUSTOM LASIK wavefront technology, blade-free INTRALASE, and "No Stitch / No Shot" clear cornea cataract surgery with multi-focal and astigmatism-correcting lenses. Dr. Brown is certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgery.
In 2012, Dr. Brown became the first ophthalmologist in Mississippi to implant the iStent. This device represents the latest in the management of glaucoma. It is placed in the eye at the time of cataract surgery with no additional incisions or sutures..
He is the recipient of the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s prestigious Secretariat Award in recognition of the efforts to advance eye care in the state of Mississippi.
In addition to his work at the Center, Dr. Brown has served as the Chief of Staff at OCH Regional Medical Center. He also serves as the Ophthalmology Consultant for the Mississippi State University Athletic Department. He has participated in medical mission trips to India, Guatemala, and Haiti. He is actively involved in the Mississippi Academy of Physicians and Surgeons and is currently president elect for this organization.
Dr. Brown is actively involved with his four children; and he remains widely involved in the Mississippi State and Golden Triangle community.
Education and Training
- Mississippi State University, B.S., 1993, Magna Cum Laude
- University of Mississippi School of Medicine, M.D., 1997
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Internship, Internal Medicine, 1998
- University of Mississippi School of Medicine, Residency, Ophthalmology, 2002, Chief Resident
- Leadership Development Program, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Lancaster Course in Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- San Antonio Ophthalmology Course, Brooke Army Medical Center
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives
- Mississippi State Medical Association
- Mississippi Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons