James S. Brown III, MD, FACS
Dr. Jim Brown is a board-certified ophthalmologist specializing in LASIK surgery, cataract surgery, eyelid surgery, glaucoma surgery, diabetic eye laser surgery, and retinal laser procedures. He is certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgery.
In addition to working at his clinic, he was awarded the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s prestigious Secretariat Award in recognition of the efforts to advance eye care in the state of Mississippi. In 2012, he became the first ophthalmologist in Mississippi to implant the iStent, thus paving the way for Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS) throughout the state.
Dr. Brown has served as the Chief of Staff at OCH Regional Medical Center, is the Ophthalmology Consultant for the Mississippi State University Athletic Department, and is actively involved in the Mississippi Academy of Physicians and Surgeons and is past president-elect of this organization.
Dr. Brown is actively involved with his four children, has enjoyed participating in medical mission trips to India, Guatemala, and Haiti, and remains widely involved in the Mississippi State and Golden Triangle community.
Education And Training
- Mississippi State University, B.S., 1993, Magna Cum Laude
- University Of Mississippi School Of Medicine, M.D., 1997
- Wake Forest University School Of Medicine, Internship, Internal Medicine, 1998
- University Of Mississippi School Of Medicine, Residency, Ophthalmology, 2002, Chief Resident
- Leadership Development Program, American Academy Of Ophthalmology
- Armed Forces Institute Of Pathology, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Lancaster Course In Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye And Ear Infirmary
- San Antonio Ophthalmology Course, Brooke Army Medical Center
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmic Executives
- Mississippi State Medical Association
- Mississippi Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons